Monday, June 9, 2014

Whelmed.

Today, I am whelmed. I have too much laundry to be overwhelmed but just enough smiles and kisses and requests for reading doggie books on the couch that I am nowhere near overwhelmed. I’m just whelmed.
It had me thinking about how the Internet has so severely skewed our perception of reality. Every minute of every day should either be overwhelming (Travel! Exotic Foods! Sky diving! Accomplishment!) or underwhelming (a long bubble bath! back-to-back movies! a nap in the hammock!)
Am I the only person out there who is still just whelmed?
The UPS guy shows up when I am in the middle of a diaper change and I have to chase him down to get my package. I read Goodnight Moon for the fourth time. I make a mug of tea, start a load of laundry, sip my tea from a chair on the patio while the baby rolls his dinosaur truck around for 15 minutes. I double-check my to-do list for the day, add “collect UPS package” to it just so I can feel good and cross it off, put my hair in a ponytail to get it off my neck, decide I don’t really pull ponytails off well, move the laundry to the dryer.
See? Just whelmed. A little bit of over, a little bit of under, mostly just whelmed.
IMG_2217
Every day of life is an adventure… and yet it isn’t. Someday I will be old and reflective and think all the time back to the way I chose to live my life. I will smile and be glad for all the traveling we did, for all the hikes we took and all the activities we tried… but I will also be glad for all the times we curled up on the couch and read our baby a story together, for all the times we did nothing but watch him play and listened to his adorable sounds, for all the times I put the next chore on my list off until later because I was too busy snuggling and singing and making silly faces. I will be thankful for all of it, the over and the under and the whelm.
Have a beautiful, whelming day today.

1 comment:

  1. I love your description of this! It is so true. There are so many days where 'whelmed' is such a good description.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments! I always read them, don't always have time to answer quickly. Sorry about that!