Saturday, November 15, 2014

Milestones

For the past 18 months, our lives have been very baby-focused.
We’ve traveled, moved, worked through income-earning plans and future goals, but always in between admiring milestones.
We’ve spent countless hours saying “Look at how good he’s getting at rolling over” and “I’m pretty sure he just said da-da… right? Did he say da-da?” and “DID YOU SEE THAT?! HE JUST SAT UP!” and “Look at this kid! He’s going to be walking any day now!” etcetera, etcetera.
We were watching an episode of 19 Kids and Counting the other night and I remarked that it’ll be weird to focus on two different milestones at once from now on. The Duggars are constantly doing this. They’re planning a wedding and a graduation party, and in between their work on those they give driving lessons and potty train and clap for a new walker. All at once!
We’ll be applauding one child for potty training advances and another for standing up without assistance. It’s such a strange thing to think about! Then I think about my grandparents who welcomed a great grandchild, grandchild, and grandson-in-law within a year’s time, or for my parents who were praying for one child’s high school finals while planning the other’s wedding.
In the back of my mind, I know this is no big deal. It’s going to be no different from how we’ve been celebrating Ryan’s work/school accomplishments while also celebrating our little guy’s milestones and my pregnancy milestones. Even still, it’s a strange and exciting thought.
We are about to get twice the milestones! Twice the owies and twice the sad days, sure, but twice the happiness! We now get to clap for TWO children! We get to smile and pray up a heap of thanks over two great things! And it’ll be that way for the rest of our lives. A game won, a dollar found in a coat pocket, a graduation, a wedding, the birth of a baby… it will always be just on the heels of some other exciting milestone!
Maybe it’s silly, but I feel like every disappointment in life is going to be just that much easier to handle because at least one of us is going to have some happiness pop up soon! I’m one of those people who always gets a little too excited for someone else’s big happy moment so it’s usually pretty much the same thing as if something big and exciting happens to me. When it’s my own husband and children, though? I might even argue that it’s better. I walk around on a cloud for a while when Ryan gets an award or promotion, when the little guy learns a new word or trick, when the new baby’s heartbeat sounds perfect and clear again.
I just don't even know how to process all this joy right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comments! I always read them, don't always have time to answer quickly. Sorry about that!