Friday, September 18, 2015

Time Capsules

I’m on the hunt for a special box for each of my children. I want to put two or three baby outfits, a handful of cards & letters, and a few other special mementos inside.

Thinking about these time capsules reminded me of some time capsules of my own.

When I was ten or 11, I filled up a shoebox with a few of my favorite items at the time. One was the book Mandy, so I could read it to my someday daughter. I’ve forgotten the rest. But I do know with absolute certainty that a Lisa Frank letter was inside detailing what I imagined my life would be like at 25 years old. I’m not sure if I was on my author or detective kick at the time.

I would give anything to read that letter now, but unfortunately my mom got rid of the shoe box.

I found a used copy of Mandy when I was pregnant with the boy, but lamented it’s ugly old cover. I wished I still had the pretty floral version I’d had as a kid. Then last week I came across a box of free used books and what did I find inside?! Mandy, with the same cover I loved as a kid. <3

My friend Alecia agreed with me that that time capsule was a sacred shoebox which should not have been spring cleaned. So we took matters into our own hands and made a friendship time capsule. I don’t remember much of what was in it, but I do know there was a mix tape with our voices and Savage Garden’s “Truly Madly Deeply” on it. Sidenote: That was our friendship song. Alecia’s mom once said, “Don’t you think that’s probably a song more for a boyfriend and girlfriend?” to which we replied in unison, “NAH.”

We buried it beneath the bricks by my front door and promised to leave it undisturbed for ten years.

A few days later I came home from school and my dad had poured concrete over that exact spot.


There is not really a point to all this rambling, but the moral here is that my parents hate time and will do anything they can, even if it’s kind of expensive and a lot of work, to keep you from capsuling it. 

3 comments:

  1. Dear SK Bell...OUCH
    Love always, your Time-hating Mom who would give anything to have a just a little bit of that time back to snuggle with you and make toe people!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I had know you had buried it there, I would have told you to move it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments! I always read them, don't always have time to answer quickly. Sorry about that!