Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Book Review: The Dinner

I have an addiction to thrilling suspense novels. I like to not be able to put them down, especially because I have to. On the rare occasion that I do get a naptime these days, I don’t get to casually end at the end of a chapter. Sometimes I am in the middle of a paragraph, in the middle of a deep meaty plot twist, and I kind of love that. Yet hate it. You know.

This book is about two couples who go to dinner and are all the while pushing towards a discussion of a horrific event triggered by the couples’ children. In between shots of the dinner we see backstory and side stories that twist together.

I thought it was a really excellent way to tell the story. The first two chapters didn’t at all hook me and I was actually dreading picking the book up during those, but after chapter three I was hooked and making time to read it at night. The subject matter was really disturbing to me and definitely had me thinking about it all quite a bit, but that’s a sign of good writing to me!

This is a Dutch book that was translated to English after it became wildly popular. I don’t think that’s really noticeable and found it to flow quite well.

If you’re looking for another good what-the-heck-exactly-happened kind of thriller, consider this one.

*I received this book from Blogging for Books in exchange for review

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comments! I always read them, don't always have time to answer quickly. Sorry about that!