Friday, December 18, 2015

Cookbook Review: 5 in 5

My Crockpot died.  

I have a lot going on so I rely on my crockpot fairly often. And now I can’t. So I was more than happy to check out 5 in 5 (five fresh ingredients + five minutes of heat) to cut down on meal prep time.

To be honest, a lot of the meals in the book were things I/we weren’t really interested in… but I’ve yet to find a cookbook I was 100% in love with, so that’s okay.


I made rigatoni with mushrooms & Swiss chard (substituted with gluten free fusilli) which was good but technically required like 20 minutes of heat because of the pasta.
I also made the blueberry-spinach and strawberry-almond smoothies (loved both)

The other recipes I’m most excited about are the zucchini rolls with feta & almonds (I made something similar once, zucchini rolls with a pesto cream cheese spread, and I loved them!) // spinach salad with strawberries, red onion and feta // Grape and feta salad // Kale and apple salad with maple cider dressing // Cheesy broccoli gratin.

I really like the concept of this cookbook. Americans are busy. We make ourselves busy with a lot of unimportant things, it’s true, but this is the way we live. We have to work at 8am instead of “in the morning” like in some countries. We get a 30-minute or hour-long lunch break and then it’s back to the grind. We have lunch dates and gym sessions and have just enough time to fit an errand in between dropping the kids off at practice and picking them back up.

Our health is so important though, and taking the time to prepare a healthy home-cooked meal is so imperative in my opinion. I said “in my opinion” out of politeness but really it’s a fact. So if you struggle to find the time for cooking healthy meals, definitely consider this book.

And just in case you were worried about my CrockPot-less future, my mother-in-law sent me a $10 Kohl’s cash and some money to cover the difference for Christmas =]


*I received this book from Blogging for Books in exchange for review

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comments! I always read them, don't always have time to answer quickly. Sorry about that!