Sunday, November 20, 2016

Documenting Motherhood II


I have all kinds of strengths and weaknesses as a mom. One of my great motherhood strengths is documenting motherhood for me/childhood for them in separate journals. I shared a few ideas for you before and now I’m sharing a few more.

-Re-cap. Re-cap all the crazy chaos of a week (a call to Poison Control! Potty training! Three playdates, a doctor’s appointment, and a trip to the grocery store) or all the mundane (never-ending laundry pile. Sweeping up a big pile of Cheerios every afternoon. Curious George theme song stuck in your head)

-Isms. Don’t forget to write down all those hilarious kid-isms. You really won’t remember them forever. Sometimes I tell myself I’m going to write one down but keep forgetting to, then eventually I’m asking Ryan, “What was that funny thing he said?” and it feels like an opportunity lost.

-Write down everything your kid eats in a day. Keep the journal open at the kitchen table and jot down everything. Oatmeal. Apples slices, but only up to the skins. A sip of my tea. One bite of garlic-roasted asparagus, followed up with a sour face. Carrot slices shaped like stars. Grapes dipped into the ketchup I supplied for their chicken. Three bites of my tamale.

-Write about other people. My son has his first crush (on a grown woman, super cute) and is starting to come home from AWANA or Sunday school with stories about his friends. “I asked that boy what his sisters’ names is an he said ‘I don’t got no sissers but I gotta dog sisser. He poops all the time.’ I told him I got two sissers but no dogs. Dat was so funny.” (“What was your friend’s name?” “Who?” “Your friend who has a dog instead of sisters, what was his name?” “I don’t know what you talkin’ about, Mom.” :| )

-Interview them. I like to interview my kids every six months, on their birthday and half birthday, and write all their answers in their journals. I picture them someday reading their answers and then comparing them to their own child’s answers at the same age. Super fun! 
Here’s my son’s interview at 3 ½ : 
Favorite color:
Favorite food: 
Favorite book: 
Favorite show/movie: 
Favorite animal: 
Favorite thing to do as a family: 
Favorite thing to do alone: 
Favorite word:
Favorite shirt: 
What do you like about yourself? 
What do you want to be when you grow up?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comments! I always read them, don't always have time to answer quickly. Sorry about that!