Saturday, January 21, 2017

Baby Journal Prompt

I write in a special journal for my babies at least once a month, starting on the day I find out I’m pregnant. I thought it’d be fun to start sharing some of my favorite writing prompts here, just in case you are interested in putting together a baby journal of your own, or are interested in new material for one you already write.
If you’re interested in doing a little writing for your own children, grab a journal or notebook (I have a nice $10-ish journal for each of my own children, but I always wish I had just opted for simple composition books so I could easily start in on another when these are full and feel like they look silly and unmatching), make yourself a mug of tea or hot chocolate, and curl up at the arm of your couch to sip and reflect.



What quote or song lyric reminds you of your child?

A few examples:

“This is perhaps the heart of parenting: despite my aching, desperate baby-love, it’s my job to help him into being a big boy. It’s my job, my honor, to walk him, quite literally, from baby to toddler to boy to man.” –Bread & Wine by Shauna Niquist

“A mother is made in the difficult, challenging, and very real crises that never make it to a page. It’s choosing to love when you’d rather run away. Being a mother is becoming an expert at saying, “I’m sorry,” “I forgive you,” and “I love you,” as many times as necessary. And teaching your children to do the same.” –Undone by Michele Cushatt

Or maybe there’s a song you sing together often.

My children absolutely love it when I lie on my back and lift them into the air with my feet, singing a song my grandma used to sing while she pushed me in their backyard swing. “S/he floats through the air, with the greatest of ease, that daring [name] on the flying trapeze. His/her movements are graceful, the crowds s/he does please, and my heart s/he has stolen away.”

When I sing bedtime lullabies, I always sing the same three songs—Golden Slumbers, a made-up version of Brahms’ Lullaby, and “the goodnight song” which involves me telling baby animals goodnight by making their animal sounds.

I stare into a precious face and sing You are my Sunshine a good 3-5 times a week.

Write down a quote or some special song lyrics and why they are important to you, or a favorite memory attached to them.

1 comment:

  1. I love that you do this. I have a journal I started for Baby A since we dont live close to each other. I write him a note now and then and also tell him about me and my past. I would have loved having something like that from my Grandma's. I'm going to do them for the girls too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments! I always read them, don't always have time to answer quickly. Sorry about that!