Monday, February 6, 2017

Baby Journal Prompts

I write in a special journal for my babies at least once a month, starting on the day I find out I’m pregnant. I thought it’d be fun to start sharing some of my favorite writing prompts here, just in case you are interested in putting together a baby journal of your own, or are interested in new material for one you already write.

If you’re interested in doing a little writing for your own children, grab a journal or notebook (I have a nice $10-ish journal for each of my own children, but I always wish I had just opted for simple composition books so I could easily start in on another when these are full and feel like they look silly and unmatching), make yourself a mug of tea or hot chocolate, and curl up at the arm of your couch to sip and reflect.



Write down a story about yourself as a child today. It can be any story you want, something that you think will help your children to know you a little better. Tell them about your first real heartbreak or about a shining moment when you overcame something difficult. Talk about a game you once played, a hobby you devoted a whole summer to, whatever you’d like.

When I was eight or nine, I went through a phase of entrepreneurship.
I started a “car wash,” which was where I sprayed off cars with a garden hose for $5. My brother and I took action against an almost plague-like summer of grasshoppers and allowed people to hire us—Bug Busters—to shoot grasshoppers off their backyard fences for a small fee. Courtney McNabb and I sold Kleenex and glue “art” to all the poor suckers who walked down our street. We must have spent hours sitting on TV tables in my front yard.
One venture, which felt like an ingenious idea at the time, was a bank. I opened a bank in my closet and invited my dad to come on in and make a deposit.
“What exactly do you think a bank is?” he asked.
“It’s where you give them your money.”
“Nah,” he shook his head. “That’s now how it works.”
“No,” I insisted. “It
is.”
He never did make a deposit at my bank, which eventually (that night) went out of business.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comments! I always read them, don't always have time to answer quickly. Sorry about that!