Sunday, August 13, 2017

Summer

We wrote a letter to a cousin a few mornings ago and then A and I went outside to put it in the mailbox.

It was 87 degrees but my skin is getting crazier and crazier so I put on a hoodie with my big, floppy hat and my sunglasses. We crossed the street together, he put the letter in and raised the flag, and then we crossed the street and walked right back into our house. We were outside for two minutes at the most, and two minutes sounds really long for this particular excursion.

Still, I had little bumps on the back of my neck a few minutes later, my head was pounding for several hours, and I found myself feeling generally sore and fatigued until the next morning.

I’m so tired of feeling like this. I’m ready to play outside with my kids and go for daily stroller walks again. I’m ready to walk around downtown, both here and in new-to­-us places… but at the same time, I don’t want to miss this precious month of life just because it happens to be a summer month.

Even though I miss hiking and weekly park trips (and curling up under a blanket with a novel and a hot chocolate! And sweaters with boots! And soup! And cute Ryan in his Carharrt beanie!) I don’t want to let this “hard” season rule my state of mind or my emotions. I want to stay positive for the next month or so, to not rush through this season, and to keep a tangible reminder on my refrigerator of all the reasons to be thankful, sunshine or not. I know there is still joy to be found and blessings to be counted in the summer.



Like lower prices on strawberries. Strawberries with coconut whipped cream, strawberries with Justin’s chocolate hazelnut butter, strawberries in a fruit salad. Strawberries.

Like B in a sundress, usually paired with her purple rain boots. Like A in shorts and cowboy boots. Like C in tanktop rompers.

Like letting the kids stay up a little late and walking barefoot in the grass as the sun goes down.
Like the smell of my neighbors’ cookout wafting in through our open windows.

Like relaxing in the shade with a good book while my babies play. Watching them run and jump and climb. Helping the baby go down the slide. Occasionally putting my bookmark back in so I can reach over to squirt them with the squeeze owl in their water table. 

Like ice cream in the camp chairs on our back patio.

Like perfect temperatures for 6am backyard writing sessions and 9pm backyard date nights.
Like running through the sprinklers with my little ones on a rare-but-warm cloudy day.

Like Vacation Bible School. Like watching my son’s eyes light up during the ending skit, like exchanging how-did-we-get-so-lucky glances with my husband while he animatedly tells us everything he did, like trying not to cry when he sings his favorite new songs and has no idea he’s mispronouncing words in the world’s cutest voice.

Like fresh fruit smoothies.

Like deep discounts on any fall/winter clothes still in the clearance section. Like a red and gender-neutral newborn sweater, a warm pair of 4t sweat pants, a precious sweater dress, and adorable black mock-Ugg boots for $2 each.

Like summer reading programs. The hours we spend curled up and reading together, their satisfaction in logging their progress, their excitement in picking out prizes and attending (blessedly indoor) library programs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comments! I always read them, don't always have time to answer quickly. Sorry about that!