Monday, October 9, 2017

Finding my Fiction: The Pretender

Reading has always been one of my favorite things to do, for as long as I can remember. I always find myself moving through different phases in my reading habits and I never know where I’ll end up next. I’ve been in an all-fiction phase, a true-crime phase, a young-adult phase, a suspense-thriller phase. As a kid I spent (what at least feels like!) years in a detective-then-historical-fiction phase, and right now I’m in a non-fiction Christian living phase.

I have been enjoying the balance of a Christian living and a fiction at the same time (along with all my many other reads… pregnancy books, devotionals, homeschool books, a US history book, whatever I’m reading with my kids…) but the fiction is a lot harder for me to figure out these days.
My sensitive heart is only getting more sensitive as I get older and so much bothers me these days that didn’t when I was younger. I’ve been trying to strive for mostly Christian fiction since I don’t find myself losing sleep over those… but fiction isn’t grabbing me the way it once did and I’m finding it really easy to dive into almost any Christian living memoir but nowhere near as easy to get lost in fiction these days.

When I was given the opportunity to try out The Pretender in exchange for review (thanks to LitFuse!), I jumped at the chance. It sounds great, right? I instantly wanted to know how these characters might be connected. I imagine it probably really is a great book but even after eight chapters I just couldn’t get into it. I found myself finishing a chapter and realizing my mind had been elsewhere and I hadn’t retained any of it, or on some occasions found myself sitting down to read and then deciding I’d better clean ____first, always a sign that a book is just not doing it for me.


I always hate to give a review like this but I want to be fair and honest so that’s the truth. I didn’t end up finishing The Pretender and I’m not sure that I will. I don’t think I’ve read many books set in the ‘70s and I wonder if that might be part of the problem. I feel like that time period just doesn’t quite do it for me.

For now, I’m still diving headfirst into my nonfiction and will forever keep trying to find my fiction!

Have you read The Pretender? Do you have any other good Christian fiction recommendations? 

The Pretender Ta'Mara Hanscom

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comments! I always read them, don't always have time to answer quickly. Sorry about that!